Why the home premium requirement?

Aug 22, 2007 at 7:20 AM
When I tried to run Vista Battery Saver after the install, I received an error stating that I had the "Wrong OS" and that I needed to have at least Home Premium. I find this distressing for 2 reasons:

1. The name, "Vista Battery Saver" gives the impression I should only need any version of Vista. The installer should detect I don't have Home Premium and spare me a few minutes if the requirement is substantial.

2. I can't know exactly what features the software provides because I can't run it, but based on the screenshot on the homepage, it only automates things I could perform by hand, such as turning off Aero when on battery. If I can do this manually in Vista Home, I'd be very surprised to learn that the change can only be automated in Home Premium.

If this is really an open source project, I can't imagine that this wouldn't have been corrected already. Granted, I could be wrong seeing as I'm not familiar with the APIs in question, but this really reeks of commercial pandering to try and get me to buy Home Premium. If the requirement isn't technically necessary, and you (the developers) would like to friend the open source community, you should know this sort of thing won't be tolerated.
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2007 at 11:22 AM
Windows Vista Home Basic has no Aero interface, so you can not switch off something, that do not exists :), however there is workitem to enable VBS to run on any Vista version (in Home Basic it will not manage Aero, but other features will be enabled)
The good point, you noticed is OS detection in installer. It detects that you're running Vista, but not the version of Vista. Either, if VBS will run on Home Premium, OS detection in the installer will not be required.

Thank you for interesting in Vista Battery Saver
Aug 22, 2007 at 6:50 PM
Glad to hear you're not leaving Home Basic users in the cold. Possible feature suggestion: Yes, Home Basic doesn't have Aero, but it can still switch to the Basic color scheme (Vista already offers to do this when it detects performance is bad) on battery.
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2007 at 8:48 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Nov 22, 2007 at 5:25 AM
I'm glad that this is being addressed. I've tested the RC1 and it still states that you need Home Premium and stops executing. The install works but not the running of the program.

Cam