Aero is gone...

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:30 PM
I'm not sure that VBS caused this problem, but I am taking a guess that it might be the culprit.

I bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium (actually an ASUS). Vista Battery Saver is one of the first things I install (I was really impressed with what it did for me on my old laptop ... before it died).

Anyway, I had the whole Aero transparency, etc. when I first booted up. When I set VBS up I noticed that there were a few extra power profiles settings that came with the laptop. I used those instead of the standard ones.

Anyway, I noticed yesterday (I got the laptop on Tuesday, FWIW) that the system seemed to be stuck on low power settings with the power cord attached. After careful investigation I discovered that ASUS has replaced the standard power utilities with their own which do effectively what VBS is doing. I also noticed that there was no Aero... no big deal... I also at some point turned my number of colors down (mainly because I am doing a web cast for MS in a few weeks and I was instructed that turning down the colors would help that... I did notice that Aero shut down at that point).

Anyway, right now I have no Aero interface (colors are back up, but no interface)...

You don't do anything with the profile do you? Probably not, but I'm just checking...
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2007 at 8:41 AM

DevTheo wrote:
I'm not sure that VBS caused this problem, but I am taking a guess that it might be the culprit.

I bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium (actually an ASUS). Vista Battery Saver is one of the first things I install (I was really impressed with what it did for me on my old laptop ... before it died).

Anyway, I had the whole Aero transparency, etc. when I first booted up. When I set VBS up I noticed that there were a few extra power profiles settings that came with the laptop. I used those instead of the standard ones.

Anyway, I noticed yesterday (I got the laptop on Tuesday, FWIW) that the system seemed to be stuck on low power settings with the power cord attached. After careful investigation I discovered that ASUS has replaced the standard power utilities with their own which do effectively what VBS is doing. I also noticed that there was no Aero... no big deal... I also at some point turned my number of colors down (mainly because I am doing a web cast for MS in a few weeks and I was instructed that turning down the colors would help that... I did notice that Aero shut down at that point).

Anyway, right now I have no Aero interface (colors are back up, but no interface)...

You don't do anything with the profile do you? Probably not, but I'm just checking...

VBS does nothing with power profiles, except enumirating and changing it accord power source. By default, it uses Power Saver profile when working on battery and Balanced on AC. You can change it from VBS interface. Additinal thing, I can advice you is trying to force Aero interface on by checking Never Deactivate... radio button.
Aug 31, 2007 at 11:52 AM
I figured as much.

It was really a shot in the dark....

Now I need to either use my Vista Ultimate Disk and upgrade or call support (because I can't figure out why it doesn't work)

Jay
Aug 31, 2007 at 12:21 PM
FWIW, I finally found the problem. It was a "problem between the chair and the keyboard."

The short version is that I was tweaking my Vista install by disabling a few non-critical services. One of these "non-critical" was the "Desktop Window Manager Service." So for anyone reading this, make sure DWM is running. You won't get Aero if you were stupid and turned it off.

Jay

PS. My face is red with embarassment...